Thursday, May 27, 2010

Off chemotherapy week

This week and next week, Jason is off the chemotherapy. Next chemotherapy session is on June 10, 2010.
He's doing alright..most of the time he's in a OK mood.
He still retches time to time..I don't know if this retching and vomiting will ever go away..
Sometimes I feel that part of his retching and vomiting may be behavioral, not totally for medical reasons..Sometimes it looks like he's doing it to get attention or to get what he wants. Good example is when he's upset. When I (or my husband) step away from Jason for a little bit to do something real quick (like going to the bathroom ^^) then he will be upset and cry then he will retch and if he's not consoled right away, then he will vomit. In the oncology clinic, when he sees nurses and doctors then he gets scared and upset.. of course then he will retch and vomit.
Well, when he vomits, it's not that gross..^^ because he has now GJ tube so his formula ends up in his small intestine.. so his stomach has nothing.. but water that he drinks (he drinks too much water.. which can be a problem so we're closely watching...) and some mucus..
so that's all he vomits all the time... water and mucus.. easier to clean up and less messy ^^ but I am sure it will make him equally uncomfortable.

Jason still can't walk or stand up.. and this makes me worry so much..
We have to get the physical therapy back on board but I don't know if he can tolerate now because he didn't tolerate well before. A physical therapist from the county's EI (early intervention) comes to our house once a week but she can't do anything with Jason because Jason will not let her even come close to him.
I fear that Jason's leg muscles get even weaker and may not walk again...T.T He was such an active boy before. He started walking when he was 11 months old.. and he was going up and down the stairs and going every where.. I miss those days..

Since Jason had problems with feeding (and now his brain tumor) my family basically became the prisoners of our own home. We don't get to go out to go to church, to eat at a restaurant or to visit our friends anymore. It's quite difficult to take Jason out due to many reasons. It's been almost 2 years since we had our family vacation. Since someone has to be with Jason pretty much all the time, my hubby and I have to rotate and eat dinner at different times. We don't get much family time together since my husband works mon-fri and I work fri-sun overnight. I feel sorry for Michelle because she probably feels left out often times.
The only thing that we do as family these days is going to a nearby park/playgroud (Jason doesn't like this hahaha) or take a walk around the Rio shopping center while Jason's is off the feeding!. He's on 20hrs continuous GJ-tube feeding and he only gets 4 hours break from his feeding. 20 hours a day attached to a feeding pump! Even though he has a small protable feeding pump that we can carry around..it's not easy to do things with a child hooked up to a feeding pump..
Well.. too much venting today...
Well, Jason fell asleep now.. it's my chance to eat something for breakfast at 11:30!! finally!! I am sooo hungry!

6 comments:

  1. 안녕하세요 미씨방에서 글 읽고 왔어요. 아이가 너무 밝고 예쁘네요. 힘든 것 꿋꿋이 참고 견디는 것도 기특하고요. You must be proud of him!! 힘내세요. 엄마가 건강해야 아이도 돌볼 수 있으니 꼭 건강 챙기시고요. 앞으로도 종종 와서 제이슨 수기 읽을께요. 제이슨 위해 기도하겠습니다.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason's mom
    I am glad to see the update and thank you for sharing your blog with me.
    I have 2 children, 14 year old daughter and 17 month old son. Both pregnancies were very difficult...none stop vomiting 10 - 20 times a day for many months and in and out of hospital.
    Like you say I think it's partial psychological...both times I was fine until the day I found out that I was pregnant ^ ^;;
    Since I wasn't able to eat or drink anything, I was vomiting some liquid and mucus just like Jason. It's much easier to vomit than food...at the beginning when I was eating, it was very painful...It really burned my throat. I was nauseous 24/7 and couldn't stand any kind of smell and had to be by myself pretty much whole time. After few weeks I got used to everything...and so as the family.
    Jason is probably not too uncomfortable when he vomits...although it would be better if he doesn't.

    I do agree about Michelle being feeling left out sometimes. My older daughter went to therapy sessions through my pregnancy and she still has emotional issues that we are dealing with.

    I think it's a good idea to go to the playground so he will want to join other kids and motivate himself to do the physical therapy.

    I wish Jason and your family get to enjoy 2 weeks before he starts his second rounds.
    Take it easy and try to enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello~~~
    미씨방에서 글 읽고 왔어요.
    제이슨 어머니,,,
    꼭 기운내세요. 함께 기도 드릴꼐요.
    and... are you a nurse/ dr.?
    I can tell you're in med. field from your writing...^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. 헤일리어머니가 미씨방에 우리 제이슨에 대한 글을 올려주셔서 많은분들이 와주시네요 ^^
    우리 제이슨 위해서 기도해주셔서 감사해요~
    anonymous님, 예리하시네요 ^^
    네..저 medical field에서 일하는거 맞아요. 병원에서 inpatient care 약사로 일하고 있어요...^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. 흑. 여기 한글로 쓸수 있는거였군요. 전 안되는줄 알고..글도 못 쓰고 있었는데...
    제이슨 어머님,많이 피곤하고 힘드시죠... 큰딸도 많이 써포트할 시기 인거 같은데....그래도 아이가 방학이지 않나요?? 방학이라면 그래도 좀 괜안을거 같고...
    전 제이슨 살이 얼마나 붙었나 보러 싸이에 갔다가.. 너무 깜짝 놀랬답니다. 너무 충격이었거든요. 저에게는....
    님의 쌍둥이도 그랬는데... 제이슨을 또 아프게 만든 하나님이, 갑자기 원망도 되더라구요.
    왜 이쯤이면 충분히 다시 행복해질만 한데 .. 왜 또 이런일이 생기는건지....정말 몸이 지치고 힘드시더라도...정말정말 다시 조아질날만 기다리면서 잘 해 보쟈구요. 제이슨엄마 화이팅 입니다.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 그쵸? 쌍동이들 잃은지도 얼마 않됬는데 제이슨까지 아파서 힘들고 참 원망스러울때가 얼마나 많은지 몰라요..ㅠㅠ
    하지만 언젠가 좋아지겠죠..그렇게 믿어야죠..않그럼 힘들어서 못살아요..

    ReplyDelete