Sunday, July 4, 2010

Chemotherapy cycle#2, week2

Jason tolerated his chemotherapy well on Thursday.  He continued to receive only 50% of vincristine because of concern for neuropathy that could be contributing to his inability to stand or walk.  Jason's neuro-oncologist, Dr. Packer examined Jason's vision and said Jason's peripheral vision was good now.  He said Jason's peripheral vision was compromised before per exam but now it seemed that its much improved.  Good to hear that something is improving!  =)
Jason's physical therapy will have to wait a little.  The Children's hospital's physical therapy had no appointments available for next 6 months because all the appointment slots are booked!  Jason was put on a waiting list but I didn't want to wait 6 months so I called the Kennedy Krieger Institute (KKI) which is affiliated with the Jonhs Hopkins in Baltimore.  Actually Kennedy Krieger Institute is one of the best (or might the "THE BEST") pediatric rehabilitation hospitals in the nation.  Jason was evaluated at KKI in January for his feeding issues and was supposed to be admitted for intensive feeding therapy but we found out about his brain tumor so plan for the intensive feeding therapy was canceled  (they said we can try again after brain tumor treatments are over).
Well, anyways, KKI's physical therapy department said they could see and evaluate Jason on July 28!! so I made the appointment without any hesitation.  I am actually very excited that Jason will be going to KKI for his PT!!  I hope they can help Jason walk again!  It might take a while for Jason to walk again, but I am very hopeful!  I just hope that they can accommodate more than 1 PT sessions per week.. I wish we can do 2-3 times per week..It will be a very long drive (about 1.5 hrs one way) to go to KKI but I don't mind long drive to KKI.. just want Jason to walk again soon.  =)

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so thrilled to hear that u got an appointment so soon.. And I do hope to God he can get more than one PT/week but even so I'm sure they'll do much better in getting Jason back to better shape!

    ReplyDelete