Monday, July 5, 2010

Baby food Re-tried. =)

Wow..it was amazing..
I don't know why, all the sudden, Jason ATE (yes he ATE) 1/2 jar of stage 1 baby food!!
I had some stage 1 baby foods in the pantry just in case I get a chance to re-try them.. and today was the day.  =)
He was in a good mood today.. playing with toys and etc.  It was his evening off-feeding break time.  I gave him stage 1 pear baby food and he wanted more.. and more.. and he managed to finish 1/2 jar.. that is about 1 oz of baby food!!!  and more amazingly, he didn't throw up!!!  not even a small bit!
I think this is most amount of baby food that he ate at one time in his life.
wow.. what a surprise.
We currently trying something called Farrell bag.. which is a gastric decompressing system.  Basically, this bag/system will help relieve gas/pressure build up in stomach associate with tube feeding.  I read good things about this Farrell bag on the tube-feeding support group websites and I asked Jason's GI doctor if we can try on Jason to vent gas from his stomach and drain stomach content to see if he feels better.  Jason's GI doctor said it was ok to try.. so we are doing it.  Jason is not fed through stomach (fed through jejunum-part of small intestine) so his stomach is pretty empty but still there are gas and mucus and bile juice and stuff..
Since we tried the Farrell bag to vent and drain his stomach at night time, it seems like he's sleeping better at night.  He used to wake up at least 3-4 times retching, burping and sometimes vomiting but since the Farrell bag he only wakes up maybe 1-2 times.. and even if he retches, he doesn't vomit...
I don't know if using Farrell bag at night time helps him feel better during the day but he seems more comfortable during the daytime also..more playful and way less fussy..
Well, whatever the reason is.. Jason seems definitely more comfortable.
Hope I can feed him some baby food again tomorrow~ (fingers crossed..=D  )

3 comments:

  1. What a GREAT news!!!! I am so excited to hear that Jason ate baby food and feeling better.
    Pray he will eat more tomorrow...tomorrow is the last day of my Intention Rosary...God is with Jason and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's truly amazing! I'm glad to hear he's feeling better. So much for someone so little to take but he's a true fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mina and Anna for your comments..=)
    however, Jason threw up baby food at midnight! hahaha! that's more than 3 hours after he ate his baby food. his digestion must be very slow to throw up that after 3hrs!! but I am still hopeful..I will try to feed him again today. =D

    ReplyDelete