Thursday, June 10, 2010

Out of ICU and recovering

Jason came out of PICU yesterday afternoon and he's moved to neurosurgery ward.
He's doing alright but since he has lots of lines and specially two drains from his brain, he was put on soft restraints to prevent him from pulling these lines.. basically his wrists are tied up to crib rails only allowing little bit of movements.. and he's wearing soft arm braces so he cannot bend his elbows and reach for lines. poor baby...
Last night he woke up and acting very aggitated, wiggling, sliding, kicking etc every 1-2 hours.. of course, both of us (Jason and me) couldn't sleep well. He got morphine, tylenol and valium to help with pain and aggitation but they only helped little bit.
I asked Dr. Yaun why radiologist did't say anything back in April about small fluid collection shown on MRI.. and she said, they notified her of the finding.. but back then it was not significant to do any intervention.. so she told the oncologists/radiologist to just keep monitoring with regular MRI.. and boom! within 1 & 1/2 month it got much bigger causing problems now...
I love Dr. Yaun, Jason's neurosurgeon, she's a such a wonderful, kind and very loving/caring doctor. Always explains things in details, will go over MRIs, CTs very carefully.. she's just wonderful doctor! ^^
Dr. Yaun said Jason's subdural fluid/blood collection is almost gone, it's putting out very little drainage right now.. meanwhile, they clamped the VP shunt to block CSF from his ventricle that way, it creates pressure in the center of brain and pushes brain outward so subsequenty will help pushing the blood/fluid from subdural space.. but if this pressure goes too high then Jason will have problem so they will have to open VP shunt again..
Since Jason had rough night last night, doctors thought maybe it was because increased pressure from clamping VP shunt.. so they opened VP shunt again this morning to relieve pressure from the ventricles..but then this may cause build up of fluid again in subdural space.. so they have to monitor closely and play with clamping and opening of both VP shunt and subdural drain..
so tricky and complex..
anyways, when everything is ok, that is.. most of the fluid/blood drains out from subdural space and pressure in ventricles can be set to normal again.. then Jason will have to go back to OR to put the VP shunt back in his belly..that will be prabobly on next Monday...then hopefully he can come home...

6 comments:

  1. Jason's mom,

    I came in to see if the new chemo session has started to find out that Jason had another brain surgery and in so much pain...
    I can't even imagine how hard it is for you to watch him.
    You are a super mom! I can feel your strength and I am sure Jason is feeling it too.
    You two can fight this battle together and Jason will get well soon.

    I am starting 58 Day Miracle Rosary Novena to our Lady today for Jason. Please pray with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much pain for the little boy TT
    but he is a brave strong boy and i'm sure he will go thru this fine as he has done so many times..
    Hoonjoo, you're such a strong admirable mom so keep strong, and kiss/hug Jason a lot.
    kyungmi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mina: Thank you so much for doing rosary novenaa for my son. We are Catholic as well but it's been a while since I prayed rosary..I know novena is very hard and needs strong commitment..I really thank you for doing that..I will try to pray rosary, too.

    Kyungmi: I will give Jason kiss & hugs for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew there was a reason why I found your block...it's because God guided me here.
    What is Jason's baptism name? and Michelle's?

    I have little trick when I pray...it's because I don't pray enough, I ask our mother Mary, all Saints, everyone in heaven and all the Angeles to pray with me and continue pray even after I am done.
    I need all the help I can get ^ ^;;

    Happy Birthday Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mina nim..^^
    Jason is his baptismal name, in Korean Jason=야손 (it's a biblical character I think).
    Michelle's baptismal name is Michaela (미카엘라).
    Thank you again for praying rosary for my son and my family. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. of course...Jason (야손) and Michelle(미카엘라) ^ ^;;

    I am a lazy Catholic and don't pray much but I believe there is a reason why I got to your blog.

    Please try to pray rosary even if you don't get to finish...you will find peace in your heart and strength during difficult times.

    ReplyDelete