Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chemotherapy cycle #2, week 1

Today was one of the longest clinic appointment ever!! We got to the Childrens hospital at 8:00 am and left there at 4:00 pm. Almost 8 hours in the clinic/hospital today.. hew, talk about being exhausted!! So we left home around 7:00 am and came home little after 5:00 pm. The reason for such a long clinic visit was because Dr. Yaun wanted to have another CT scan before receiving today's chemotherapy. Dr. Yaun came to oncology clinic to check whether Jason's surgical wounds are healing well or not before he receivs chemotherapy. And I told her that Jason is still vomiting and retching frequently.. and Dr. Yaun was concerned because there is always a possibility that subdural hematoma can happen again. Even though last week's CT before discharge was good, she wanted to check again to make sure that it's not the recurring subdural hematoma that make Jason vomit and retch..
So arranging for CT and waiting and getting the CT scan done took about 3 hours and while CT is obtained and result is back Jason's chemotherapy was on hold.. Finally around 2:30 we got "OK" to go from Dr. Yaun and oncology clinic staff (they said CT scan looked very good!!)..So he received carboplatin and 1/2 dose vincristine today.
The oncology nurse practitioner gave us order for the physical therapy (3-5 times/week). I will have to make arrangement for this next week.. I am so tired now...3-5 sessions of physical therapy per week might sound alot but my insurance only pays for 2 consecutive months for same condition/diagnosis per calendar year (doesn't matter how many sessions, just "two consecutive months"), so I have to get the most out of it. Last time when Jason was discharged from hospital after 1st surgery, I didn't know about this policy and we wasted 1st month by missing appointments and stuff.. and only got 4 weekly sessions and even that 4 sessions, Jason didn't cooperate too much so we didn't get much done.
Maybe this time, I will go for 3 sessions per week and after 2 months, if Jason needs more time, then I will have to appeal to my insurance company for more time.
Well, with intensive physical therapy, hope Jason can walk again soon!!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds exhausting...hopefully it won't be as long and paintful next time.
    I am glad that his CT scan looks good and he was able to start the second round of chemo.

    I pray that God will be with Jason and the family during the treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. So when does therapy begin? Or u'll be scheduling next week? I guess that's what u meant.. Hopefully due to more frequent acquaintance of seeing the therapist, Jason will get to know/acknowledge him/her sooner so he'll throw lesser fits.. and stop crying sooner.

    God, it must've been completely exhausting on his chemotherapy day... :(

    Hope you're doing ok too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounded like you had a rough day! Thanks for sharing your Jason's story. I want you to know that Jason has been in my prayers everyday and I pray for his speedy recovery. I also pray for your family as you go through this time. I can't wait for the day that Jason can run around the neighborhood with Aidan! I'm sure it's right around the corner! They will be great buddies:). Hang in there. You truly have an amazing family.

    ReplyDelete